Better Than The Van has been on my radar for quite some time now, and I really believe they provide a great service to musicians. I’ve blogged about them before, but for those of you who don’t know about them, BTTV is an online services that helps musicians find free places to crash while on tour in the U.S., Canada, and Europe.
It’s basically a network of bands and awesome music fans who want to meet and help each other out. I think the concept is great because it gives music fans the opportunity to support independent bands they like and meet them personally at the same time. Imagine your favorite indie band coming over your place to party and crash for the night!? I know I’d go crazy.
Obviously, a lot of trust has to be involved for this to work at all, but many people have taken a liking to this idea. The music fans on BTTV seem to be very generous people.
Just recently, BTTV re-launched it’s website with a ton of new features, listed below:
- find free places to stay on tour.
- search and connect with other bands touring to the same cities or towns.
- directly connect with established and DIY venues.
- make new fans/friends with music-minded people in other cities.
Music fans can…
- host touring bands and other music fans.
- create a “Venue” page to easily connect w/ bands & host shows.
- automatically be notified when bands are touring near them.
- discover new bands and help them connect the dots.
If you’re looking to tour but you’re worried about lodging expenses, this is a seriously credible website to consider. There are more nice people out there than you might think.
I’d also like to mention that they run an excellent blog, and have linked to a couple of my articles, so thanks for that!